This section of the tutorial will help you understand “what is phonegap cordova”
1. About PhoneGap
PhoneGap is an open source development framework for building cross platform mobile apps. It is a wrapper used for native packaging of mobile web application. It is developed by Nitobi, a company based in Vancouver, Canada. Nitobi was acquired by Adobe Corporation on the year of 2011. After the acquisition Adobe released PhoneGap technology as open source under the name Apache Cordova.
2. What is PhoneGap Cordova
Mobile market is huge with bunch of opportunities. At the same time it is really painful experience for the developers to make an application reach to the wider audience. There are multiple platforms like android, iPhone, Blackberry, windows comes with lot different capabilities. Every platform uses different programming language syntax and different distribution process. As the programming platforms are different, developing an application requires putting the separate development effort for different platforms.
Below table explains the languages, tools and application formats accepted by different app stores for different mobile platforms.
|Language||Objective C||Java||Java||C#, .NET.|
|Tools||Xcode||Android SDK||Blackberry SDK||Windows Dev. Tools|
|App Stores||Apple||Android Market||Blackberry app World||Windows|
Below are the challenges today to maintain the application for different platforms
- Development tools and programming languages are different for different platforms, which require developers with different skillsets.
- Developing the application for different platforms is cost effective
- As development is different for different platforms, we will have different source code as a result code base gets messy and becomes difficult for maintenance and support
- Time to market increases as need parallel development and bigger team need
3. Revolution of Cross Platform Application development
|Native App||Mobile Web App|
Although HTML5 is a breakthrough in the mobility space, it couldn’t applaud the way it aimed to achieve it. It doesn’t allow developers to access the native mobile app capability like Camera, GPS, Barcode Scanning, etc. Here is the need of PhoneGap (Codova)
5. PhoneGap Features
PhoneGap is an open source development framework for building cross platform mobile apps. It allows you to package your mobile web application code and resources into a binary app and ready to distribute to Apple, Android, Palm, Symbian, and BlackBerry devices. It is not only the purpose of PhoneGap to distribute the web application to application store. It is also providing the feature to access the device hardware from web application.
6. PhoneGap supported platforms
- iPhone / iPhone 3G and Higher
- Blackberry OS 5.x and Newer
- Web OS
- Windows Phone 7
Hardware Features support table
7. Advantages of PhoneGap (Cordova)
- One codebase can be maintained for multiple platforms
- Reuse existing web developer skills
- Faster development
- Based on open standards